Sunday 28 December 2008

Christmas Greetings


DECEMBER must have been a busy month, as I look back and see I've managed no posts at all so far. Wrist slapped, will endeavour to do better. I was dreaming of the traditional white Christmas, but as it failed to appear, here's a picture of the park near my house, taken in February 2005.

I'm even late with the festive good wishes, though it's hard to be overly joyous when so much of what we'd come to take for granted seems to be crumbling around us. With the collapse of Woolworths, Whittards, Zavvi and so many other casualties of this economic 'downturn', thoughts must turn to the casualties of other institutions' reckless lust for profit.

I hope the new year brings better news, but I'm not holding my breath. I wonder if there are any bankers or hedge fund managers donating any of their holiday time to working in the soup kitchens this Christmas. No, probably not.

2 comments:

Bengal said...

Hello Peter,

Just stopped in and I have much enjoyed reading your blog. This picture here of the playground with the snow, sky and the town lights is really pretty. Just how the playground on top of the hill looks so still and peaceful in contrast to the lights below. Very nice.

Thanks again for stopping on by and leaving the nice comment.

Take Care,
Bengal

Peter Drobinski said...

Hello Bengal

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I'm really lucky to live on a hill in Sheffield, opposite this playground and park. The lights are from the town of Stannington far below. Beyond Stannington is the beginning of the Peak District, so much beauty in such wonderful isolation. It's a treat to live here and be able to walk in this inspiring countryside.

Kind regards

Peter