Tuesday 28 October 2008

As Flat as a Millpond


I'M NOT the world's best photographer but, when I finally take a decent one, I become inordinately proud and want everyone to see it. Consequently, it's my desktop picture and now I've put it on here.

This was taken on a beautifully still day in February 2008, and is a view of the Ladybower Dam and Reservoir in the Peak District, near my home in Sheffield. The Ladybower is the lowest of three interconnecting reservoirs, the Howden and the Derwent being the other two. The Derwent Dam is probably best known as the training ground for No. 617 "Dambusters" Squadron during WWII, but more of that in another post.

Many people unfamiliar with Sheffield are surprised when I tell them that although I live half an hour's walk from the city centre, I am also barely ten minutes' drive from this place. It's a wonderful place to go hiking, so look out for pictures and posts from my walks!

If you're interested, this photo was taken with a Pentax K10D, standard zoom lens as supplied, but with a polarising filter attached. In fact, it was my first day out with the new filter. I'm not sure I've taken a better shot since.

4 comments:

Jane Smith said...

Peter, you live scarily close to me. And I wonder: did you ever consider taking the MA in writing at SHU? Because you seem very familiar to me....

Peter Drobinski said...

Jane, my memory does play tricks with me nowadays, but I'm fairly sure I haven't considered taking the MA in writing - I'm not sure I'm clever enough for that!

My ten minutes' driving distance from Ladybower is based on living in the Crookes area, dropping children at school in the Crosspool area and hot-tailing it down the road to the Peaks to get a day's walking in!

Jane Smith said...

Aha. Can't be you I was thinking of, then. But you do live very near me: I can get to Ladybower in around 15 minutes, and to Crookes in about 10. And to Redmires in about 3 minutes in the car (15 walking).

Lord. You might be one of the people I've sworn at for trespassing on my land. Fancy.

Peter Drobinski said...

Ha! Can't have been me, I always keep to the marked paths, and so far haven't been sworn at. Though, come to think of it, there was a very unpleasant man in Upper Booth one time!